With the approaching 2012 London Olympics Games the Dragon's Back Race organisers have had some fun and taken the opportunity to make some interesting comparisons between the 2012 London Olympics and the Dragon’s Back Race™.
London 2012 Olympics Dragon’s Back Race™ 2012
- 80,000 spectators in the Olympic Stadium
11,000,000 spectators in the Welsh hills (includes sheep)*
- IAAF maximum rebound/softness of an athletics track is 2.5mm
Maximum known squelchiness of Welsh Bog is 2.5m
- 64,000 bed sheets, 11,000 sofas and 5,000 toilet brushes at the Olympic Village
13 x 8 man family camping tents, 2 mess tents, 1 admin tent and 6 portaloos at each overnight campsite
- Official sponsorship and catering from McDonalds and Coke – not very healthy!
Bespoke runners menu from ethical vegetarian caterers the Green Machine
- 590-piece clothing collection including 38 types of footwear for British athletes by Stella McCartney
Full spec mountain clothing for all marshals and a Vapour Storm jacket for competitors by Berghaus
- An opening ceremony costing £27m, featuring live music and directed by Danny Boyle
A Welsh male voice choir to sing off the competitors from the ramparts Conwy Castle
- An austerity budget of nearly £9,000,000,000
An event budget nearly £9,000,000,000 less than Olympics!
- 4,700 Olympic and Paralympics medals produced by the Royal Mint
100 finishers trophies recast from the original 1992 winner’s trophy
- Competitors from 200 countries
Competitors from 14 countries
- Many of the best athletes in the World
Some of the best mountain and ultra runners in the World
* This is the actual number of sheep in Wales!
If you would like to find out more, please visit www.DragonsBackRace.com